The undercarriage of my 2025 CX90 Turbo Premium Plus was damaged by road debris.

A place for open-ended discussion on any car-related topic.
Post Reply
Jacob_Evans2001
Senior
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:10 pm

I recently collided with a tyre and rim that were lying flat on the highway! It appeared out of nowhere as I was passing a semi travelling at approximately 80 mph in the pitch black. I perfectly balanced my car without swerving or breaking. There was a terrifyingly loud bang, but the vehicle continued to roll home unharmed.
When I get it home, I use a torch to quickly inspect underneath and see that the plastic/rubber splash guard was ripped off and is now missing. It has definitely joined that tyre on the highway, I'm sure of it.
Additionally, I am unsure of the purpose of the wires that droop near the right front wheel well.
My question is thus: Would you say that splash guard is crucial? How much are they? Is there a part number available somewhere?
craigstomer
Moderator
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:20 pm

In my opinion, you should get in touch with your insurer and submit a claim. The next step is to bring it to a Mazda dealership so they can assess the damage, recommend parts, and give you a quote. In the opposite direction, it could work. The lower shield probably serves a purpose and, thanks to the airflow under the vehicle, even improves gas mileage.

After crashing into a huge pothole, which shattered the plastic cover right behind the front wheel, I need to get new plastic components for my vehicle.
Jacob_Evans2001
Senior
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:10 pm

After submitting two claims within the first ten months of ownership, I am reluctant to submit a third. The very first one was a giant hoax—. We utilised SafeLite to fix the small chip in the windscreen because progressive insurance covers that. I had no idea that they considered that claim #1! Their logging cost more than $100; I could have had it fixed for less. I purchased insurance for minor collisions like this one, so I'm filing a second claim. And now I'm afraid that a third claim will cause my rate to skyrocket.
craigstomer
Moderator
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:20 pm

I would recommend visiting your local Mazda dealer to get a quote before deciding whether or not to pay for the repairs out of pocket.

In Massachusetts, it is mandatory to have full glass coverage without a deductible, and any damage to the glass will not be considered a claim. As I was cruising down a median past a construction site, a pebble shattered the windscreen of my driver's side vehicle.
veroguittar
Moderator
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:45 pm

There are three panels that could be affected by the front center undercoverage: the lower bumper tabs, the bottom front, and the bottom middle. Different parts have different numbers. Bolts and plastic push-in pins serve as fasteners. Part 2 costs around $100 to $200. In the event that tabs are torn, you might require #1. The vast majority of the cost would likely fall on you regardless, due to your $500-$1,000 deductible or higher. Itemise the shop.
James_Cam00
Moderator
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:23 pm

The same thing happened to me when I was hit by a big piece of semi-tire. The front splash guard was mostly torn away, but other than that, our car was in better shape than most. Some people lost limbs. After stopping, I took off the splash guard. To yet, I haven't considered getting a new one. Nothing else has broken our CX-90. As I peered underneath, I could see that the car rested on a full metal pan. Undoubtedly, that prevented a great deal of damage.
dontito
Moderator
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:35 am

Under a flyover, my wife's 2025 CX90 was swept away by floodwaters as she drove our vehicle on the interstate during a thunderstorm. She heard a rumbling sound the following day, emanating from beneath the vehicle. Some plastic was dangling from the ceiling as I peered around. I thought she misplaced some plastic push-in clips. Coming soon: the dealership's oil change It was my request that they reattach it. The extent of the damage exceeded my expectations. An estimate of about $3,000 was what they gave me. I contacted my insurance provider and politely declined. The insurance claim had no deductible, so I proceeded with it. The repairs were completed by Collision Place for $1200. It seems like the dealership was trying to take advantage of me. Wishing the repairs a long life.
matthewlightburn
Moderator
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:45 pm

Since they were complimentary when I bought my car, the only service I've ever had done at the dealership—oil changes—is because they want you to spend more money there. Obviously, remembers as well. It's frustrating because the oil change procedure always takes two or three hours, regardless of whether you have an appointment or not. For around $75 (including a premium car wash), my other Mazdas can get an oil change and a 22-point inspection at a Valvoline, and the whole process takes no more than fifteen minutes.

Another thing I've learned through the years is that when it comes to fixing your vehicle, a dealer isn't any better than your reliable neighbourhood mechanic. Despite this, they are masters at pushing unnecessary and costly services on you at the last minute.
matthewlightburn
Moderator
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:45 pm

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Post Reply