Help with Haldex, please.

A place for open-ended discussion on any car-related topic.
JEEPWRANGLER2020
Moderator
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:20 pm

My 2012 Evoque has 55k miles on the clock and is experiencing juddering noises coming from the haldex. I have taken it in for servicing, including changing the oil and filter, but the problem persists. The garage has now advised me to get a replacement unit. After reading through a lot of threads, I'm wondering if a new pump would solve the problem or if I need to get a new Haldex unit.
much obliged.
sherlockHOME
Moderator
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:30 pm

As for me, I'd give the pump a go first. The men who serviced it checked the pump, didn't they? For a fraction of the price, you can get an OEM-spec replacement pump through eBay's assured fit service. It really does resemble the sound of a pump going out. If it gets worse after going through the special settings on the selector, it's probably the pump. By the way, is it always present? At launch, is it worse or completely absent? Best regards
JEEPWRANGLER2020
Moderator
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:20 pm

Yes, it's always there; it's especially noticeable when accelerating or turning, but I usually just try to roll it around, and it doesn't bother me at all. Still, it's not perfect.
We had the differential serviced because it was making a loud humming sound, similar to a bearing. They also promised to clean the filter and add fresh oil, so it made sense to get the haldex serviced. Haldex is still an issue, but the diff noise has completely gone. Another thing that may be relevant to mention, but is probably unrelated, is that there is a noticeable wobble coming from the back at 50 mph, which goes to 60 mph, and only comes back when you accelerate. I have checked the bearings, tires, and everything else, but nothing has helped.
After hearing your advice, I'm going to get a pump and see what happens; I can do it on my own and it shouldn't be too difficult, considering it was removed only two months ago. Once again, I'm grateful.
sherlockHOME
Moderator
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:30 pm

When everything else fails, contact Auto Fault Finding; they have a modification unit, a scrabble stopper, and are happy to help. The unit is priced at about £180. Best regards
sherlockHOME
Moderator
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:30 pm

If it's happening when the vehicle is turned at a hard lock on both sides, I recommend contacting auto fault finding or haldex repairs uk. To verify this, try physically disconnecting the haldex ecu. This will make your car run on two-wheel drive, so you can see if the juddering goes away. If so, you can use Auto Fault Finders to make the scrabble stopper modification. Best regards
inevitable99
Moderator
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:40 pm

If you happen to be in the Midlands, stop by Bell Engineering! Slightly beyond Birmingham
GoodBoyCar
Moderator
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed May 05, 2021 9:35 pm

I also had to replace the original, underrated diff bearings on my 2012 Vogue because of this exact problem. Updated bearings are used in a recon diff by Bell Engineering.
JEEPWRANGLER2020
Moderator
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:20 pm

Difference has been addressed, but the issue persists.
StartingWar22
Senior
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:15 pm

I substituted

I contacted 4x4 parts in Hull, Yorkshire, after an independent specialist garage recommended them to me, to replace my Haldex with a used one. It was so easy to use that I now regret not having it done sooner.
Post Reply