My previous ride was a 2023 Tucson (non-hybrid), and it was noticeably more stable, less susceptible to bumps in the road, and overall smoother than my EV3 and my friend's. Even on a stretch of road I was already familiar with, the Tucson made the road seem as smooth as silk. Because nothing noteworthy ever happened, none of my passengers—even the dogs—took notes.
The EV3 gave me the willies yesterday as I zipped down the same road; the ride was so rough and uncomfortable that it was like being in a Cortina from the 1970s. They were so opposed that not even the dogs could remain silent. I lowered the PSI of the tyres to around 35 psi to see if it makes a difference. I don't have the sticker for the recommended pressure, so I'm not sure. The tires are Kumho Ecsta and the wheels are 17".
Could this be a characteristic of electric vehicles, or is there a way to improve the ride quality? The EV3 would be idling on the driveway if my Tucson were still in my possession and I needed to travel from Newcastle to Cornwall.
What about the EV3 Air's ride quality?
-
Rebecca_Taylor90
- Moderator
- Posts: 102
- Joined: Wed May 20, 2020 3:35 pm
What did you think during the test drive?
-
Sophia_Williams99
- Junior
- Posts: 40
- Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:35 pm
Main roads that were in good repair were used for the test drive. I was unfamiliar with the route because the closest Kia dealer is more than 35 miles away. On the same route, I also had the opportunity to test drive a Mini Countryman EV, and I must say, both cars felt identical.
-
Rebecca_Taylor90
- Moderator
- Posts: 102
- Joined: Wed May 20, 2020 3:35 pm
A relatively new RAV4 served me well when I lived in the Fens, which is home to some of the nation's worst roads. Since the RAV4 didn't provide a comfortable ride in this area, I went car shopping in late 2024. Even after 18 months of use, the EV3 still provides a comfortable ride and accommodates my medical condition to a far greater extent than that.
My GT-Line S is the only variant, but I think the Air's suspension is the same.
My GT-Line S is the only variant, but I think the Air's suspension is the same.
-
Sophia_Williams99
- Junior
- Posts: 40
- Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:35 pm
I find that intriguing. The Air, with its 17-inch wheels, shouldn't be quite as rough on the 19-inch GT-Line wheels. The roads leading from my home in Norfolk (near Downham Market) to Wisbech are perfect for honing your driving skills! I drove my EV3 along those roads to visit relatives, and I'll admit that between Marshland Smeeth and Terrington St. John—where you have to stay on the road's crown to avoid crashing into the drains—my 1988 Vauxhall Astra Estate was much more comfortable. To rule out having a bad car, I am planning to take another EV3 Air for a spin this week.
-
Rebecca_Taylor90
- Moderator
- Posts: 102
- Joined: Wed May 20, 2020 3:35 pm
Wow, that's weird. As someone who resides in the triangle formed by Peterborough, Huntingdon, and March, I completely understand what you're saying.
I purchased a brand-new Ford in the 1970s, which is highly improbable now. It was a very unpleasant ride when I picked it up. Apparently, they had forgotten to bring the wooden blocks that they used to restrict movement in the front spring with them when they were transported. A PDI was useless.
I purchased a brand-new Ford in the 1970s, which is highly improbable now. It was a very unpleasant ride when I picked it up. Apparently, they had forgotten to bring the wooden blocks that they used to restrict movement in the front spring with them when they were transported. A PDI was useless.
-
Rebecca_Taylor90
- Moderator
- Posts: 102
- Joined: Wed May 20, 2020 3:35 pm
I have a 36-inch tyre pressure plate that is mounted on one of the B pillars.