Horrifying nightmare: the Ford Focus's doors

A place for open-ended discussion on any car-related topic.
Post Reply
StartingWar22
Senior
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:15 pm

My Ford Focus Mark 1's passenger and driver's doors won't lock, and I've tried both the button key and the manual key, but neither of them has worked. I was wondering if this problem could cost more than a grand.
craigstomer
Moderator
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:20 pm

see if the remote's batteries work.
StartingWar22
Senior
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:15 pm

I'm really grateful that you responded.
Removed all door knobs and handles
Because WHDB cleaned all of the door latches in case one of them was causing the car to mistakenly believe that a door was open or closed,
I just discovered that the front left door latch is completely broken and needs to be replaced.


Looked online and couldn't find a replacement for the front left passenger door latch.
Could you please inform me if anyone knows if one has been sold?
craigstomer
Moderator
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:20 pm

Strangely, neither door locks when I use the key. For some reason, those tibbe type keys won't unlock no matter what key you try. By the way, does the key open the bonnet or boot properly?

Wear and tear on the plungers bearing the number 4 was a common occurrence with Tibbe key lock barrels. During my time at the dealership, I rebuilt dozens upon dozens of Fiestas, Escorts, and Mondeos, among many others. I even had a day where I did nothing but disassemble and reassemble locks!

My assumption was that if there was an issue with the latches, the vehicle would lock the doors as if they were open, and then instantly "bounce" them back to unlocked.
Post Reply